University has finished – yey! – and now I am full of free time and pretty much nothing to do.
One of my resolutions for this year was to give more space to my creativity, experiment and paint; and that’s what I’ll do and what I’ll show you today.
I love travelling and although I don’t have the possibility to do it now I surely plan on discovering the world in the future; so, inspired by this dream of mine, I’ve decided to paint the world map and then hang it up in my bedroom.
I’ve started searching for some inspiration online because I wasn’t sure If I wanted it all black and white or with a lot of colors.
This is the result:
I’m very happy with how it turned out and I’ll attach more photos and memories each time a visit a new city.
So this is how I created it – it only took 3 days for me to make it.
I bought a panel of wood that measures 120×90 cm and it’s thick 4 mm and it costed €10,90; so if you already own the paint, pencil and eraser it won’t cost you anything more than that – then it obviously depends on the price of the wood piece in your local store.
I chose a piece with some imperfections, cracks and dark wood grains because I think they give it more personality and texture.
I used a 2H pencil because it’s more light and easier to erase and it doesn’t leave any trace on the wood.
I traced the world map free handed looking at various maps on my atlas. I didn’t want it to be perfect but a bit detailed so it would look realistic.
I then started painted it and I wanted to give it a watercolor look so I wanted the colors to blend together in a natural way.
I also added a quote at the bottom of the painting: “Follow your arrow, wherever it may point”.
For the names of the cities I was really undecided on the style, but then I found some awesome stamps at the shop Tiger and they were perfect. I stamped the names of the main cities I want to visit – and let me tell you, I learned so much about geography with this project.
I’m really happy with the result and I can’t wait to hang it in my bedroom.
I love all of it.
Now some pieces of advice for you:
- If you’re not sure you’re able to do it buy a smaller wood piece, this way it will be easier to draw the world map and paint it.
- If you can’t draw it free handed, print the world map of the size you want it, place it on your wooden panel and trace the edges. Since it’s wood, if you press strong enough, it will leave a trace under the paper and on the wood so later it will be easy to draw and paint.
- If you don’t like all these colors, try with the black and white style and doodle inside all the continents, the result will be stunning.
- Don’t dilute your paint too much or it will bleed in the wood.
- Use the primary colors, they’re easier to pair and the overall look will be neater with less colors.
- Imperfections are great. Mistakes can be fixed, and if not, whatever. You made it so be proud of yourself.
So here’s my world map painting, what do you think about it? Tell me in the comments!